What is OnStar?
Overview of features and availability of General Motors' advanced communication system, provided by OnStar.
Since beginning operations in 1995, General Motors' OnStar1 system has grown to become the nation's leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and communications services using wireless and Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite technology.
OnStar is available on more than fifty 2009 and newer GM models. There are currently almost 6 million OnStar subscribers in the U.S. and Canada.
Pushing the red “emergency button” establishes a priority connection to an OnStar Advisor, who can then contact and direct emergency services to your exact GPS location.
Automatic Crash Response
In a crash, built-in sensors can automatically alert an OnStar1 Advisor who is immediately connected into your vehicle to see if you need help sent to your exact location — even if you can't say a word.
During severe weather and other natural disasters, an OnStar Advisor can help you navigate your way to safety and provide a reliable connection to loved ones, at no additional cost.
Stolen Vehicle Assistance3
If you've reported your vehicle stolen, OnStar can use GPS technology to pinpoint its exact location and help authorities recover it safely and quickly, using industry-leading technologies like Remote Ignition Block and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown (R)11. With Remote Ignition Block10, OnStar can send a remote signal to prevent the stolen vehicle from being restarted once the engine has been turned off. With Stolen Vehicle Slowdown, OnStar can send a remote signal to gradually slow down the stolen vehicle to an idle speed.
Remote Door Unlock4
If you're locked out, simply call OnStar and an Advisor can send a signal to your car that usually unlocks its doors within minutes.
If you're stranded on the side of the road for whatever reason — blown hose, out of gas, flat tire, etc. — just push the OnStar button, and an Advisor can locate a nearby service provider and direct them to your location.
Remote Horn and Lights
If you can't locate your vehicle, call OnStar and an Advisor can help you find it by sending a remote signal that triggers its horn and flash its lights.
It's the simplest and smartest in-vehicle navigation system. Just push the OnStar button and tell the Advisor where you want to go, and turn-by-turn directions are downloaded to your vehicle.
There is a wireless service built into OnStar-equipped vehicles for use when your cell phone is out of reach, out of range or its battery is low. Placing a call is as easy as calling out a name or number — OnStar does the rest.
OnStar RemoteLink(TM) Mobile App12
Check your fuel level, oil life and tire pressure from your phone. Talk to an Advisor. Or start your car or unlock your doors from anywhere.
OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics
Each month, your vehicle can run hundreds of diagnostic checks on your engine, transmission, anti-lock brakes and more and automatically send you an easy-to-read email summary, giving you the confidence that your vehicle
Low Mileage DIscount
Due to the added safety, security and advanced technology that OnStar provides, many insurance companies offer discounts to OnStar subscribers. You can save up to 10% off your entire auto premium (and 5% off your homeowner's). Some companies also add an anti-theft discount of up to 25% off the comprehensive portion of the auto policy. If you drive less than 15,000 miles a year, OnStar can help you qualify for a Low Mileage discount of up to 54% off your entire premium.
1.Call 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1-888-466-7827) or visit onstar.com for details and system limitations. OnStar acts as link to existing emergency service providers
2. Feature not available on all models. Visit OnStar.com for availability.
3. Ability to locate stolen vehicles varies with conditions.
4. Remote Door Unlock success varies with conditions. Not available on Saab 9-5 and 2000-2009 9-3 models.
5. Roadside service provided by Cross Country.
6. Requires Directions & Connections Plan. Not available in certain areas. Visit onstar.com for coverage map. Services vary by model and model year.
7. OnStar Hands-Free Calling requires a Hands-Free Calling-enabled vehicle, existing OnStar service contract and prepaid minutes. Not available in certain markets. Calls may be made to the U.S. and Canada only.
8. Capabilities vary by model. Visit onstar.com for details and system limitations.
9. Low Mileage Discount assumes even distribution of premium across coverages. Discounts across coverages will vary by mileage tier. OVD required. Not available in all states. Visit onstar.com for details and system limitations. Services vary by model.
10. Remote Ignition Block is available on select 2009 and newer GM vehicles. Visit onstar.com for details. Success varies with conditions.
11. Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is available on select 2009 and newer GM vehicles. Visit onstar.com for details.
12. Available on AndroidTM and iPhone(R) platforms.